Warren Wilson College Catalog 06-07

Go to the current College Catalog

Financial Aid

Warren Wilson College provides an educational opportunity for many students who might otherwise not be able to attend college. The College endeavors to keep expenses at a minimum by offering a substantial and comprehensive financial aid program to those who are eligible.

The bases for determining eligibility are the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Warren Wilson College Financial Aid and Scholarship Application (WWCFASA). The FAFSA and WWCFASA must be filed each year that a student wishes to be considered for aid. The amount of assistance from the College may increase or decrease from one year to the next depending on the financial circumstances of the family. The evaluated need will be offered to the student as long as funds remain available and the student continues to make satisfactory progress toward completion of a course of study.

Federal and State Programs Available

The College cooperates with all federal and state educational assistance agencies including the Veterans Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation, and other agencies that aid students in obtaining a post-secondary education. Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Family Education Loan Program, and all state programs are channeled through the College to the students.

Additional information may be obtained from the Financial Aid or Admission Offices, Warren Wilson College, P.O. Box 9000, Asheville, NC 28815-9000.

Other Loans

Warren Wilson College has an emergency loan fund for students who need to borrow a limited amount for a short period (usually 30 days). If the student has proven need, loans for educational costs with a long-term repayment option are also available.

Financial Aid Deadline

The priority date to apply for financial aid for the fall semester is April 1. Applications completed prior to this date will be given priority in the award process for grants and scholarships. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER APRIL 1 WILL BE HANDLED ON A DATE-PRIORITY BASIS. The availability of need-based grants is limited.

Campus Work Program

All resident students, regardless of their financial resources, participate in the Campus Work Program during the academic year. The College also offers work contracts during the summer and other vacation periods. Students may apply to the Work Program Office for break employment.


Academic Honor Scholarships: Warren Wilson College offers honor scholarships based on academic achievement and promise, not on financial need. To be considered, the student should request an application form from the Admission Office. Scholarship awards range from $1,000 to $5,000. There is an early deadline of March 15 for receipt of these applications.

North Carolina Students: Full-time students who are residents of North Carolina will receive a North Carolina Legislative Tuition Grant. The North Carolina General Assembly sets the award amount for each year (2005-2006 was set at $1,800 but may vary with the state budget). This award is not based on need; however, residency must be verified. Applications are available from the Financial Aid Office.

For Presbyterian Students: Members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) may apply for a Presbyterian College Scholarship. The scholarship is competitive. To be eligible, a student must complete a scholarship application form prior to December 1 of the high school senior year. This form is available by writing to National Presbyterian College Scholarships, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Church Vocations Unit, Financial Aid for Studies, Mezzanine, 100 Witherspoon Street, Louisville, KY 40202-1396. A son or daughter who is a dependent of a Presbyterian minister will automatically receive a $1,000 grant upon enrolling at Warren Wilson College. Warren Wilson College will match up to $1,000 any scholarship provided by a Presbyterian Church to one of its students. The scholarship from the congregation must be applied to tuition charges. For further information, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Required Financial Aid Forms

Obtain a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from a high school guidance counselor or the College Financial Aid Office. Send the completed form to the address indicated, designating Warren Wilson College by code number and address (002979; Asheville, NC). (FAFSA on the web is www.fafsa.ed.gov.)

A student who wishes to apply for institutional grants or loans must complete both the FAFSA and the Warren Wilson College Financial Aid and Scholarship Application (WWCFASA). The WWCFASA is available from the Admission or Financial Aid Office.

North Carolina students should complete the FAFSA prior to March 15 to be considered for the North Carolina State Student Incentive Grant. Students from Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Vermont are encouraged to apply for a grant from their states of residence.

The request for financial aid will be considered after an applicant has been officially accepted for admission to the College,

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Students receiving Title IV federal funds or need-based state grants are required to make Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree or certificate in order to maintain eligibility for this aid. Warren Wilson College also applies the same "progress" guidelines to its institutional aid. Minimum standards require that a student remain off of academic probation and pass 24 semester hours each academic year of two consecutive semesters (August-May). In reviewing a student's progress, these standards are applicable regardless of whether or not financial aid has previously been received.

Minimum number of hours: All hours refer to "semester" credits as used at Warren Wilson College. The following minimum number of credits MUST be passed: a) FULL-TIME (required of all resident students) = no fewer than 24 semester hours in two consecutive semesters (12 hours if one semester is attended); b) THREE-QUARTER = no fewer than 18 semester hours in two consecutive semesters (9 hours per semester); or, c) HALF-TIME = no fewer than 12 semester hours in two consecutive semesters (6 hours per semester).

Incompletes: Warren Wilson College allows two weeks into the following semester for a student to finalize an "incomplete". Satisfactory Progress determination will be made following this two-week period. Failure to pass an incomplete can result in the immediate termination of aid retroactive to the first day of classes. (No credit is given for grades of WP or WF; however, a WF is computed in the GPA as an "F".)

Repeats: The credits for a repeat class are counted only once toward graduation. The higher grade will be counted in the GPA. Aid will not be adjusted retroactively for lost credits from an earlier semester. It is strongly recommended that a repeat course be taken as an addition to 12 other semester hours in the event that a higher grade is not earned.

Minimum GPA: A student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average based upon hours attempted as defined by the Scholastic Standards Committee and published in detail in the Student Handbook and the Academic Catalog. Financial penalties will be applied to any student who fails to pass at least one class within a semester. Refer to "unofficial withdrawal" in the Withdrawal and Refund Policy.

Maximum Length of Eligibility: Eligibility ends with the completion of academic requirements for one degree or certificate. Length of eligibility is determined on the assumption that a student is capable of completing degree requirements within a maximum of 5 years (10 semesters) as a full-time student. Less than full-time enrollment will be evaluated as stated in minimum number of hours. To graduate within this maximum period of 10 semesters, the following percentages of work should be completed: after 2 semesters, 20%; 4 semesters, 40%; 6 semesters, 60%; 8 semesters, 80%; and 10 semesters, 100%.

Transfer Students: A transfer student is considered to be making satisfactory academic progress upon acceptance for admission. To prorate the remaining number of semesters of financial aid eligibility at Warren Wilson College, divide the number of hours accepted for transfer by 13 and subtract the results from 10 (semesters). The fraction is disregarded (dropped). Transfer students will be provided a minimum of two (2) semesters of aid eligibility to compensate for the College's academic residency requirement. (i.e. 10 Semesters - No. Hours Transferred /13 = Semesters of Remaining Eligibility)

Continuing and Readmitted Students (who are also first-time aid recipients): The eligibility of these students will be based upon the academic performance of their most recent academic year at Warren Wilson College.

Financial Aid probation: One (1) semester of financial aid probation will be automatically granted following the aid recipient's first failure to meet the above Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. If, during the probationary period, the student fails to pass a minimum of 12 semester hours and/or fails to raise the cumulative GPA to that defined by Scholastic Standards, aid eligibility will be terminated until these Standards are met. A documented and written appeal may be made for one additional semester following a personal illness or injury.

If the student is not on academic or financial aid probation, yet fails to successfully complete the minimum number of semester hours by the end of the spring semester, s/he may opt to attend summer school to complete the additional hours needed. The course work taken at another institution must be accepted as transfer credit by Warren Wilson College. Confirm with the WWC Registrar as to the acceptability of transfer credit(s). It is the student's responsibility to provide documentation of completed hours to the Director of Financial Aid. (Transfer credit will not be calculated into your cumulative GPA.)

If the student fails to make Satisfactory Academic Progress during the probationary period but is still eligible to attend Warren Wilson College, s/he may apply for a private educational bank loan. In addition to this, full-time North Carolina residents may continue to receive the NC Legislative Tuition Grant (NCLTG). WWC honor and merit scholarships are not renewed once lost.

To regain eligibility for financial aid, a student must successfully complete a minimum of 12 semester hours at Warren Wilson College and can no longer be on Academic Probation. If the student documents successful completion of 12 semester hours at another institution, these transfer credits may be considered along with a written appeal to the Director of Financial Aid at WWC. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information.

Summary: To maintain "satisfactory academic progress" at WWC you must: remain off academic probation; pass no fewer than 24 semester hours each academic year (12 if one semester); and, graduate within ten (10) semesters. Transfer credits will be calculated into the maximum of ten semesters. You may retroactively lose Federal aid if you fail to pass at least one class in a semester (in addition to being academically suspended).