The Warren Wilson site is one of the most important archaeological sites in the Southern Appalachian region. It is a stratified site with intermittent Native American occupation zones dating from as early as 5000 B.C. to around A.D. 1500. It is best known for the remains of a two-acre Pisgah culture village, home to ancestors of the Cherokee Indians. The site has been investigated since 1965 and in 1996 the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians became official partners in the archaeological research project. Also, in 1999, under the guidance of representatives of the Eastern Band, human remains previously excavated at the site were returned and reburied in a repatriation ceremony.
The site serves as the focal point for classes such as Archaeology Field and Laboratory Methods and was the focal point of the Archaeology Field School for over twenty years. The Field School now operates out of historically-significant sites near Morganton, North Carolina. The Archaeology/Collections crew is responsible for maintaining the on campus site and curating excavated materials from this dig and field school sites.