Warren Wilson College Catalog 05-06Go to the current College Catalog
Music Program Website
Milton Crotts, Wayne Erbsen, Warren Gaughan, Philip Jamison, Jane McCoy, Steven Williams (Chair)
The program in Music is designed for students who wish to focus on music as a part of the liberal arts program. The emphasis of the curriculum is on a broad coverage of the field of music, the improvement of performance skills, and the development of a strong foundation of musical understanding.
Minor in Music
Requirements: A total of 24 credits selected from the following:
- MUS 109 Introduction to Music*
- A minimum of four semesters of Applied Music in one area**
MUS 130/131-430/431 Applied Piano
MUS 135/136-435/436 Applied Voice
MUS 137/138-437/438 Applied Organ
- A minimum of four credits in ensembles
MUS 103/104-403/404 Chapel Choir
MUS 105/106-405/406 College Chorale
MUS 160 Appalachian String Band
MUS 291 Jazz Ensemble
- A minimum of eight credits of electives
ANT 223 Introduction to Ethnic Musics
MUS 255 Jazz Appreciation
MUS 293 Theory Improvisation
MUS/THR 280 Opera as Drama
THR/MUS 101, 201 Performance/Production Practicum: Musical
* Music 109 Introduction to Music is required for students with limited backgrounds. It does not count as elective credit for the minor.
**There is an additional fee per credit hour for applied music. Contact Department Chair about off-campus lessons in orchestral or band instruments.