Mission, Values, Objectives, and Vision
1.01.1 - Introduction
Warren Wilson College is an independent, accredited, four-year liberal arts college, which awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in a variety of disciplines and the Master of Fine Arts degree in creative writing.
The College was founded by Presbyterians in 1894 and maintains a covenant relationship with the Presbyterian Church (USA). The roots of this historic relationship continue to nurture the College's commitment to community, social responsibility, the value of work, and openness in the pursuit of truth. The College provides a strong sense of purpose, place, and participation, and supports diversity, community, and personal development. We welcome those from all religious faiths and secular perspectives who share similar commitments.
1.01.2 - Mission Statement
The mission of Warren Wilson College is to provide a distinctive undergraduate and graduate liberal arts education. Our undergraduate education combines academics, work, and service in a learning community committed to environmental responsibility, cross-cultural understanding, and the common good.
1.01.3 - Core Values
All proceedings, programs, and initiatives of the College are grounded in a commitment to the following core values:
- The Triad: Academics, work, and service
- Community: Civic engagement and participatory governance
- Liberal Arts: Experiential and innovative education
- Sustainability: Environmental responsibility, social and economic justice
- Diversity: Inclusivity, international and cross-cultural understanding
- Wellness: Personal growth and well-being
1.01.4 - Enduring Institutional Objectives
Drawing from its core values, the College accomplishes its mission through an enduring commitment to the following objectives:
- To practice an integrated Triad of academic study, productive work, and meaningful service
- To prepare students for service, leadership, and meaningful lifelong work and learning
- To offer an undergraduate educational program that
- enables students to think critically, obtain and evaluate information effectively, and communicate clearly;
- introduces students to a variety of ways that humans acquire and use knowledge;
- provides students with opportunities to develop a breadth of understanding and to make connections among areas critical to a liberal arts curriculum;
- requires that students demonstrate a depth of understanding through competence in one or more academic disciplines;
- leads students into considered reflection on the meaning and value of work and service to others;
- engages students in Triad activities that deepen understanding about the environmental, economic, and community bases of sustainability;
- guides students in examining their lives and articulating their beliefs and values;
- provides opportunities for personal, physical, moral, and spiritual development;
- imparts an awareness of the commonality of human problems while encouraging the development of civic engagement and a sense of social justice;
- offers educational opportunities for students to better appreciate the diversity of the world and to develop cross-cultural and international understanding.
- To offer select, innovative graduate programs grounded in the liberal arts tradition
- To promote environmental responsibility in students through education, campus operations, policy, and community outreach
- To create an educational community representing a broadly diverse world
- To nurture, through responsible and resourceful management policies, a small, residential community where students, faculty, staff, and governing board share close, mutually supportive, personal relationships and collaborate in College governance
1.01.5 - Vision
Warren Wilson College will lead the nation toward a new model for liberal arts education through the innovation of its Triad educational program, the quality of its academic engagement, the fulfillment of its sustainability principles, the depth of its commitment to diversity, the vitality of its community, and its nurturing of individual well-being.