Withdrawal and Return of Aid Policy

The Warren Wilson College Withdrawal and Refund Policy is established to provide fair and equitable treatment to finances of both the student and the College. Since Warren Wilson makes financial commitments on behalf of each student at the time of enrollment, those costs will be shared with the student as explained in the following policies.

The College operates on a traditional semester basis (minimum of 15 weeks). Academic credit is awarded by the semester. Tuition, room, board and fees are charged by the semester. Financial aid is awarded and paid by the semester (not a “term” course timeframe). A minimum of 12 attempted (registered) credits is determined by the Office of Academic Affairs to be full-time and will be charged at the full-time rate. If a student lives in a residence hall, the student is required to be full-time and will be charged for a minimum of 12 credits; however, a student’s aid will be adjusted if they fail to register full-time.

If a student’s aid package is based upon the student attending Warren Wilson College full-time, the student is required to register, attend, and complete a minimum of 12 credits. If a student registers for 12 credits, begins attendance in all courses but fails to complete those 12 credits due to an official withdrawal from the College, the student’s aid status will be determined by the College’s “Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.”

If a student registers for 12 credits but fails to begin attendance in all or part of those courses prior to official withdrawal from the College, the student’s Federal and state aid will be recalculated to three-quarter, half-time or less-than-half-time. The withdrawal calculation will then be processed based upon the student’s reduced aid package (costs will not be reduced). The student’s awards are subject to cancellation or reduction if he or she is registered for Term 2 or Term 4 courses that make the student full-time (minimum 12 credits) and the student withdraws prior to beginning attendance in those Term 2 or Term 4 courses.

1.06.1 – Institutional Withdrawal Policy

A student may begin the process of an official withdrawal by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students. The date of withdrawal will be the date that the College is notified of the student’s decision to withdraw. This may be verbal notification; however, written notice is preferred. If withdrawal is by written notice, the withdrawal date is the date that the Office of the Dean of Students actually receives the e-mail, letter, or signed withdrawal form. If there are extenuating circumstances determined to be beyond the student’s control such as illness, accident or grievous personal loss, the Dean of Students can, prior to the last day of classes within the current semester, set a withdrawal date based upon the student’s last documented date of attendance at an academically-related activity. (Dean of Students Office: first floor Dodge)

A student establishes an academic record once the student registers for a class. In order to complete the official withdrawal process, the Dean of Students will notify the Registrar’s Office of the student’s decision. The Registrar will inform the student’s instructor(s) and academic advisor who will follow the same guidelines as “Withdrawing from a Course” (refer to the academic catalog for more detailed information). Should a student withdraw from school after the end of the fourth week of a term course or the end of the ninth week of a semester course, the student’s instructors will determine a grade of W or WF. Should any grade be recorded as WF, the Scholastic Standards Committee will review the student’s record at the end of the semester.

For financial aid purposes, an unofficial withdrawal date will be set as the midpoint of the payment period (semester) if a student “drops out” without notifying the Dean of Students. It is also an unofficial withdrawal if a student does not pass at least one of the attempted courses since the College cannot make a presumption that the student attended. Charges will not be adjusted for unofficial withdrawals; however, Federal grants and loans, both student and parent, will be pro-rated per the Federal Return of Funds Policy. The student will be billed for any aid lost.

1.06.2 – Medical or Administrative Withdrawals

Refer to the chapter on “Academic Life and the WWC Degree” of the Warren Wilson College Student Handbook. Regular refund policies and Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards will apply.

1.06.3 – Institutional Charges Policy to Return Federal and State Aid

“Refund” is the term used to return federal and state aid to the same source from which it came (i.e. Direct Loan lender, Pell Grant fund, community donor, etc.). Special expenses such as private rooms, lab fees, parking stickers, admission deposits, registration deposits and fees (comprehensive and orientation) are non-refundable. Therefore institutional charges may or may not be adjusted on a prorated basis.

  1. A new student (first semester at WWC) will have a minimum in non-refundable costs that would include the admissions registration deposit ($300), comprehensive fees for the semester ($200), and orientation fees ($260/fall; $130/spring).
  2. A student readmitted to WWC after an absence will have a minimum in non-refundable costs of the admissions deposit ($300), comprehensive fees ($200), and the Readmit Fee ($75).
  3. A continuing student will have a minimum of $200 non-refundable comprehensive fees. Registration deposits ($300) are non-refundable to any student.

Tuition, room (private or double), board and commuter fee, if applicable, will be pro-rated on a day-by-day basis through the first 60% of the semester. If a student withdraws and totally moves out of the residence hall on the first day of classes, the student will be charged any applicable non-refundable costs only. (Fall, spring and Thanksgiving breaks are excluded from the day-by-day count. Triad Day and Work Day are included. Monetary amounts may be rounded to the nearest dollar). The student will be charged for all non-refundable costs plus 100% of the tuition, room, and board or commuter fee one day beyond the first 60% of the semester.

Example of cost pro-ration: 30 calendar days attended/103 days in semester = 29% charge (29% X tuition/room/board added to any non-refundable fees)

If a student withdraws prior to the College’s receipt of the student’s aid (loan check from bank; scholarship check from donor; grant funds from state agencies; etc.), the student may have to forfeit those funds if the funds cannot be approved for late or post-withdrawal disbursement. The student may also forfeit government funds that are not allowed to be pro-rated or whose eligibility has a precondition tied to another grant or full-time status.

In most cases, a withdrawn student will leave WWC with a “balance due.” Since resident students may choose to apply their campus work earnings toward the cost of tuition, room and board, this defers (delays) payment to the College. A withdrawn student may leave WWC owing at least the equivalent value of hours not worked in the semester or an amount equal to any aid the College is required to return as a result of the Refund Policy. Scholarships/grants/loans that have been designated for the spring semester cannot be used to cover a withdrawn student’s unpaid costs from the fall semester.

1.06.4 – Return of Federal Funds

The treatment of Title IV funds is governed by the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Section 484B 34 CFR 668.22 (Return of Federal Funds). The Law requires that the college determines the amount of aid a student earned based upon the length of time the student is enrolled during a payment period (semester). If a student completes 60% or less of the semester, the percentage of the period completed is the percentage of aid earned. Refer to the pro-ration calculation as an example. If a student completes at least one day beyond the first 60% of the semester, the student will have earned 100% of the aid disbursed. Eligibility for late disbursements will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Exceptions are “unofficial withdrawals” as described on the previous page. (Work earnings are excluded from these calculations. The student will be paid for actual hours worked.)

Software provided by the Department of Education is used to determine your “earned” versus “unearned” federal aid. Any unearned Federal aid will be returned first to an Unsubsidized Direct Student Loan, Subsidized Direct Student Loan, Perkins, PLUS for parents of students, Pell Grant, FSEOG then all other Title IV programs — in that order. A copy of this worksheet is available upon request.

1.06.5 – Return of State Funds

(NC/PA/VT/RI/others if applicable) Awards made by a state will be refunded back to that state as directed by that state’s policy. Most are consistent with the “Return of Federal Funds.” North Carolina has its own policy and refund calculation worksheet. Copies of any completed refund calculation worksheets are available upon request.

1.06.6 – Return of All Other Funds

This same earned and unearned percentage will be used for the remainder of a student’s aid (institutional/ state/private donor when applicable). Any remaining unearned non-federal aid will be returned to WWC institutional, state and private donor — in that order. Any designated scholarships (civic club, church, etc) will be handled as instructed by the donor. If there are no special instructions, designated scholarships will be applied towards any remaining balance due to Warren Wilson College or refunded to the donor. Alternative educational bank loans and VA Chapter 33 benefits will also be applied towards any remaining balance due to the College. Any remaining alternative loan funds held by WWC after direct costs have been paid will be returned to the borrower’s lender as a prepayment.

Spring awards cannot be applied towards fall charges. Any remaining VA Chapter 33 funds will be refunded to the student (VA recipient). The VA recipient will be responsible for repaying, if necessary, any unearned veteran funds to Veteran Affairs.

The Return of Federal Funds Policy and the definition of withdrawal are subject to change if necessary to remain in compliance with Federal Regulation.

Updated 4/15/2015