Alumni Award Nominations
Nomination Deadline is January 1, 2015
Download the Alumni Awards Nomination Form
1. Current members of the Warren Wilson College Alumni Relations staff and Alumni Association Board Members are ineligible to receive an Alumni award.
2. The nominations are reviewed by the Alumni Association Alumni Board – Nominating and Recognitions Committee, which acts as an impartial evaluator and does not participate in the nomination process.
3. Names of nominees who were not selected will remain under active consideration for a period of three years from the date of his/her nomination.
4. Recipients are expected to return to campus to attend the awards ceremony for which they are being honored.
5. A member of the Warren Wilson College Alumni is defined as someone who has attended for a minimum of one semester and left in good standing or has graduated from Warren Wilson College or any of its predecessor institutions – Dorland-Bell School, Mossop, Asheville Farm School, Warren Wilson High School, Warren Wilson Junior College, and Warren Wilson College.
1. A nomination packet including the Nomination Form may be emailed, or printed off and faxed/mailed to:
Alumni Relations, Office of Advancement
Warren Wilson College
PO Box 9000 CPO 6376
Asheville, NC 28815-9000
fax (828) 771-5850
2. The Office of Advancement – Alumni Relations requests nominations through the Alumni E-newsletter and other appropriate means of electronic and written communications.
3. At the given deadline, all nomination forms will be reviewed by the Director of Alumni Relations and the Director of Donor Research and Stewardship. Incomplete forms will be returned for completion.
4. All nominees will be sent a Nominee Questionnaire and Resume/Vitae Request to be completed and returned to the Office of Advancement – Alumni Relations by the deadline given at time of request.
5. All completed nomination materials will be compiled and sent to members of the Nominating and Recognitions Committee for review and selection.
6. Nominating and Recognitions Committee will meet to review ratings and make ﬁnal selections, in conjunction with members of the Executive Council and the Director of Alumni Relations as per the constitution and bylaws.
7. Congratulations will be shared with the selected award recipients by the chair of the Nominating and Recognitions Committee. Regrets will be shared with the nominees who were not selected as award recipients.
8. Names of nominees who were not selected as award recipients will remain under active consideration for a period of three years from the date of his/her nomination.
ALUMNI AWARDS CRITERIA
Distinguished Alumni Award
This award, established in 1961, recognizes alumni who have achieved distinction in their chosen ﬁelds and who embody the principles for which Warren Wilson College stands: the Triad of academics, work, and service as well as environmental responsibility, cross-cultural understanding, and the common good. Recipients may have been widely recognized or be leading lives of quiet service in obscure places.
Distinguished Service Award
Established in 1974, the Service award recognizes people who have demonstrated particular dedication and support of the ideals and principles of Warren Wilson College even though they may not be an alum of the College. The award may be given to a member of the College’s faculty, administration, staff, volunteers, various Boards (but not the Alumni Board) or Alumni. It is awarded ONLY to a person who has dedicated their time, talents or resources beyond the “call of duty” in the service of Warren Wilson College.
Distinguished Community Service Award
This award, established in 1998, recognizes alumni for distinguished accomplishment in any ﬁeld of COMMUNITY SERVICE THAT BRINGS HONOR TO THE RECIPIENT. The person’s contribution need not be one in which public acclaim is emphasized but may have social, or educational value. The recipient is an alum who has achieved recognition among colleagues for accomplishments in service to communities outside of the College.
Young Alumni Award
The Young Alumni Award, established in 2014, recognizes the outstanding achievements of WWC’s Young Alumni, those who have attended and/or graduated within 15 years prior to the current year. This award recognizes young alumni who have achieved distinction in their chosen fields, who embody the principles for which Warren Wilson College stands, and who have brought honor to the College.