SUPPORT FOR WWC INITIATIVES
Environmental Leadership Center
Warren Wilson College
Campus Box 6323
P.O. Box 9000
Asheville, NC 28815-9000
Please refer comments or questions about this website to Ellen Querin @ email@example.com.
Letter from the Director
The Environmental Leadership Center (ELC) of Warren Wilson College provides local and regional results-oriented environmental and sustainability programs.
Our programs are rooted in the college’s triad educational model of academics, work, and service. We promote connecting our heads, our hands and our hearts in attempts to deeply understand and solve pressing environmental and sustainability issues. We empower our students to take reasoned cogent action to envision and create a sustainable future.
Through the direction of John Huie and Margo Flood, the Environmental Leadership Center has a record of effective environmental and sustainability actions. Some of our programs are:
• Insulate! © - Students work in cooperation with local non-profits to weatherize homes of people living below the poverty level.
• EcoTeam – Students teach environmental science lessons to two-thirds of the county’s students in the third grade.
• Swannanoa Journal – Students create informed weekly broadcasts on current environmental issues for local public radio stations.
• Green Walkabouts © – Students and staff demonstrate college sustainability initiatives ranging from recycling to native landscaping for hundreds of visitors each year.
• Internship programs – Students serve as Sustainability Interns with local and national organizations such as the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center, the National Climatic Data Center, and the French Broad River Keeper.
• Campus Greening and the Partnership with the City of Asheville – Students and staff promote applied sustainable practices on campus and in the region.
This year, we will strengthen our existing programs in preparation for the upcoming reviews by the Southeastern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition, we will propose several new initiatives to complement current programs and continue the Center’s legacy of innovation.
We look forward to working with you. As I often tell our graduating seniors, we only have one thing left to do and that is to change the world.
John W. Brock, PhD
Interim Executive Director