I WOULD LIKE TO TUTOR. WHAT DO I DO?
Complete the Application Process
Approved tutors are students who have demonstrated a mastery of content and information in two or more courses and feel comfortable teaching and explaining course material to their peers. Students who want to tutor are approved after submitting a Tutor Application to the Director of Program Initiatives within Academic Support Services.
- Maintain a current understanding of the course material
- Manage own on-line tutoring schedule
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of B in courses for which applying
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA (2.8 GPA to 3.0 requires special permission through Academic Support, Academic Advisor, and the Work Program Office)
- Good academic, work and conduct standing
- Provide tutoring for up to four courses
- Tutor for no more than 5 hours per week
- Tutor for no more than 2.5 hours per tutee per week
- Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior standing
Tutoring Application Process
Tutors are paid a minimum wage through the Work Program Office (WPO) for up to 5 hours of tutoring per week above and beyond their 15 hour work week contract. Tutoring does not replace the weekly work agreement; it is an agreement outside of regular work crew hours. To become a tutor, please complete and submit the Tutor Application and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off with Judy Huber, Academic Support Services, in Dodge House. Upon approval, you, your course instructor(s) and advisor, and the WPO will be notified and you will be provided with further instruction and information.
What Happens Next?
To be paid, the WPO will be contacted through Academic Support of approved tutors. Tutors must then stop by the WPO, complete a paper time card, and confirm that your name is on the tutoring list. Tutors will receive a check from the WPO. It can be picked up either at the WPO or it can be sent to your campus mailbox. Payment is issued once a month. Check the WPO for dates. Please note: If tutoring a group of students, tutors are paid per hour, not per tutee.
Online Scheduler through Moodle
Appointments can now be scheduled online through Moodle. Once you are approved for tutoring, you will be enrolled and trained as an administrator within the Academic Tutoring page so that you can set up your own appointment calendar for tutoring.
Tutoring News and Information