The objectives of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Honors Program are (1) to set high academic standards to which all students can aspire, (2) to encourage students to pursue scholarly research, and (3) to provide recognition of outstanding students.
REQUIREMENTS: To graduate with Honors in this program, a student must
1. Achieve a 3.4 GPA for courses required in the major and achieve an overall 3.5 GPA.
2. Pursue a research project involving original laboratory or field work or an original analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of primary source material.
3. Identify the research project during the junior year by preparing a well-documented proposal which must be submitted to the North Carolina Academy or Sciences (NCAS) or other source for funding.
4. Present the completed project including a formal written research report in a form suitable for publication to the Natural Science Research Communication class and earn a course grade of A- (90%) or better.
5. Present and defend the research report in a professional forum in addition to the Natural Science Seminar (e.g., the Collegiate Academy of the NC Academy of Sciences).
6. Receive final acceptance for Graduation with Honors which is contingent on an approval vote from the faculty of the student's major.