Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Notes from a recent grad in Peru

Here's a note from Amelia Dulee-Kinsolving ('06), who recently arrived in Peru for a two-year stint in the Peace Corps:

I have now been living in Santa Eulalia, Peru for over a month for Peace Corps training. There are 37 other volunteers all of which are working in either Youth Development, like myself, or Microbusiness. Training is intense and compact and it ranges from everything to language classes, to how to make your own garden, to working with teen moms and kids with learning disabilities.We have training every weekday from 8:00 am to 5: 00 pm and Saturdays until 1:00 pm. However, I am learning a lot and am making many new friends.We often joke with each other about the fact that we only met over a month ago and have already shared so many experiences together.
Apart from training I have also been absorbing, observing, and learning so much about Peru. Every morning I wake up to the steep, rocky mountains just blocks from my window.I have never seen mountains so bare and tall in my life. Apparently though people call the mountains celos or hills. I guess I have to see the Andes before I make assumptions like that. In my community there are 8 other PC volunteers and luckily most love to play soccer so I spend a great deal of time at the local soccer field. Granted it has been quite hard at times to sit and watch pick up games since girls mostly play volleyball here and soccer is considered a guy sport. I have played some though with other PC volunteers from my community.
I feel very fortunate here with my family. I have three siblings and a host mom and host dad. My host mom and me are especially close and funny thing is she actually encourages me to have PC parties. Actually I had a pizza making party two weeks ago which was very fun and had another party this past weekend. My community also had a celebration for the Virgin Carmen two weeks ago and the festival went for about the whole weekend. It began on Saturday evening and literally did not stop till 3:00 pm the next day.I think the band stopped playing between 6:00am and 7:00 am. The band played typical Peruvian music and there were lots of fireworks which included a person who dressed up as a bull with fireworks shooting out of its horns that chased after people. No one got hurt surprisingly, but I guess it is normal here. Another large festival is to come this weekend for Independence day which should be fun.
Well that is all from Peru right now..hope you enjoyed it and I will write more soon!

0 Comments:

<< Home