Sunday, November 30, 2008

GIS Crew....what are they up to?

Here's another installment of our series of posts on GIS Crew members past and present. This time we're focusing on our very first crew member, Rebecca Davanon. She started the crew back in Fall 2005 and did a lot of great work getting the crew up and running. She's now working full-time in GIS for the City of Nashville. In her words:

"I work for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County's Emergency Communications Center (ECC). Our center receives and dispatches fire, police, and medical calls and communicates directly with PD, FD, and EMS as they respond to calls....I maintain the street centerline database and the common place point database used by ATM and CAD. As new streets and addresses develop in Davidson County I add them into a GIS database and map. This map also contains fire beats, police beats, wrecker beats, and lots of other jurisdictional zones which I update as necessary. I use a tool called Motorola Geofile Utility to convert GIS data into a format CAD/ ATM recognizes. I update street and common place changes to the CAD system at least once a week and am responsible for updating all 911 ATM maps once a month. When discrepancies in data occur during a call, it is reported to me and I research and correct the database error. In addition, I maintain the county Neighborhood Notifier mxd for auto-dialing residents with emergency information. I also help with special projects like developing an emergency response system for Davidson County greenways, verifying street data in the field with a Trimble GeoXH unit, and ordering annual orthophotos for ATM. In addition to all this, I help maintain our MDC server that manages police mobile laptops, the AVL server, CAD information databases, the many software upgrades the occur over time, and of course hardware issues. I am being trained in managing all these systems and will eventually be on 24 hour call for 911 operations in case issues arise during my off hours."

Great to hear what you're up to, Becca.

0 Comments:

<< Home