Immunization Requirements for WWC
- You will need proof of at least 3 tetanus/diptheria shots. They could be DPT or Td shots. One of the tetanus shots must have been administered within the last 10 years or you must have a booster from within the last 10 years.
- You will need proof of 2 MMRs (Measles, Mumps and Rubella combination shot). Some people have gotten them as individual shots, but most of you had them as a combination shot. The first shot must have been on or after the day you turned one year old.
- You will need proof of 3 polio vaccines (IPV or OPV)
- If you were born after July 1, 1994, you will need proof of 3 Hepatitis B vaccines.
- This is NOT a vaccine, but you will need a Tuberculin (PPD) test (to test for Tuberculosis). It is required within 12 months of the first day of classes.
We highly recommend a few other vaccinations, but they are NOT mandatory.
- The meningococcal vaccine will protect you and those around you from contracting Meningitis. Meningitis is highly contagious and living in college dormitories makes it all the more easily spread. It consists of only a single vaccination, but some doctors like to give boosters.
- The Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine is often a routine shot for most babies, but is not required for those born before April 1, 2001. It consists of a series of 2 vaccinations.
- Gardasil is a vaccination used to prevent HPV transmission. HPV is the most prevalent sexually transmitted infection (STI). It consists of a series of 3 vaccinations. It is recommended for both females and males.
North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services page on vaccines required for colleges and universities