General Housing Information

You may read through the following information, or click on one of the headings in the list below to jump ahead to a specific section.


How are my room and roommate assigned?

New students are assigned to rooms based on available space and the information on their housing forms. The information on housing forms is also used to match roommates' interests and lifestyles as best as possible to ensure compatibility. After the first semester, students have the option of staying in their current room, or entering the room lottery to select a new room. Those who wish to stay in their current rooms have first preference; seniority is then followed in selecting rooms.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?

The Warren Wilson housing staff does its best to match roommates who will be compatible; however, we're all human, and sometimes roommates don't get along. Whenever possible, we encourage students to work out their differences and come up with a solution amenable to both. Residence Hall Directors, Resident Assistants, peer mediators, the Director of Housing, the Dean of Students, and the counseling center staff are all available to help if needed. We ask that new students wait at least a week and try to work out their differences with their new roommates before requesting a room change. At that time, you must obtain written authorization from the housing office and your Residence Hall Director before changing rooms.

Private Rooms

Warren Wilson residence hall rooms are designed to house two students each. However, when space is available, leftover rooms are offered as singles. The number of students varies from year to year, so the number of available singles varies widely from year to year. Thus, we cannot guarantee a single for anyone until all students (continuing, new, and re-admitted) have been assigned spaces. There is an additional cost of $700 per semester for each single.

Priority for single rooms is first established on a medical basis. Students with a legitimate medical need for a single room have first priority. In order to be considered for a medical-need single, you should have your physician submit documentation as to the nature of the need. This information should be sent to the Dean of Students. In some cases, it may be necessary for college personnel to speak with your physician. When submitting your request for a medical-need single, please indicate how we may contact your physician and whether you have authorized him/her to release necessary medical information. Please call the housing office with any questions about medical singles.

After all medical singles have been assigned, assignment of single rooms is processed from names on a waiting list. Putting your name on the waiting list does not guarantee a single; assignment is by seniority, based on the total number of credit hours earned as determined by the college registrar.

Room Condition Reports

After your arrival at WWC, you will be asked to look over your room and fill out a form listing any damage. This is for your own protection. We don't want to charge you for damage which may have been caused the previous year, and by filling out this form listing damage already done to your room, you're protected from being charged for it. The college tries to keep careful records of damage, but we do miss things.

Lost Key Policy

You will sign out a key to your room when you check into your residence hall. It's your responsibility to take care of the key and not lose it. For your own safety, if you lose your key, the locksmith crew will rekey your door and issue new keys. The charge for this is $50.


Warren Wilson College strives to maintain the safest environment possible for all members of the community. WWC has a very low violence rate, extraordinarily low compared to many campuses, and is continuing to take steps to make the campus as safe as possible. All residence halls are protected by codelocks that allow only members of the Warren Wilson community and their guests into residence halls. In addition, the college has a well-trained security crew (Campus Watch) staffed mainly by students with supervision from three full-time security staff. Campus Watch is responsible for maintaining the safety of the campus, enforcing campus motor vehicle regulations, assisting with traffic and crowd control at campus events, responding to emergency calls, and providing crime prevention information.


Warren Wilson College is not responsible for theft or damage to your possessions. We strongly recommend that you lock your room whenever you aren't there, even if you only leave for a few minutes. In addition, we recommend that you check with your insurance agent to see if your possessions at college are, or can be, covered by a homeowner's or renter's policy.


A telephone hookup, local phone service, and voice mail are available for each room. Costs are included in tuition and fees. However, long-distance charges are the responsibility of the individual student. AT+T is the sole long-distance carrier for Warren Wilson College; however, calling cards for other carriers work as well. Billing information is available through the business office.

Each room has its own extension number, which will be provided to you when you receive your room assignment. The room can be reached directly from outside the school network by dialing (828) 771- and your extension. You or your roommate will need to provide your own phone. Answering machines will not work due to the installed voice mail system.

Television and Cable

Student rooms at Warren Wilson do not have cable hookups; cable is, however, available in most residence hall lounges. Televisions are allowed in student rooms, but due to Warren Wilson's semi-rural mountain setting, reception is poor. You can get two unclear stations in your room (ABC and PBS); you can also usually pick up FOX if you have a decent set of rabbit ear antennae.

Maintenance and Custodial

General residence hall cleaning and maintenance is taken care of by a student cleaning work crew that reports to a Facilities Management supervisor. More specialized residence maintenance is done by the appropriate Facilities Management crew (Carpentry, Locksmith, Heavy Duty, Electric, etc.). However, you are responsible for keeping your room clean. There are room inspections at least once per term to ensure fire safety. Students are expected to keep their room in such a condition that the room is accessible to student work crews that occasionally have to access rooms (to work on heat or electrical systems, for example).

Lofts and Bunks

The college allows sleeping lofts to be built only the Ballfield residence halls, and then only with the approval of the housing office. Specifications have been determined by the college physical plant after consultation with the Fire Safety Office and insurance officials. Students must obtain a permit, the permission of their roommate, and must agree to build the loft to proper specifications. Students are responsible for securing materials and for proper construction. All lofts must be removed at the end of the year unless written permission is obtained from the housing director.

Bunks may be built in any residence hall as long as they meet the proper specifications. Sunderland, ANTC, Sutton, Vining A, and the Ballfield dorms have bed frames that may be bunked without permits.

Lounges and TV Rooms

All residence halls have common areas which are equipped with televisions (most have cable as well) and VCRs. Some are equipped with ping-pong tables or pool tables. Gladfelter Student Center also has a downstairs lounge area with a ping-pong table and some video games. In addition, the common areas of some residence halls include study rooms.


All residence halls have kitchens, some of which are shared between residents and the vegetarian/vegan co-ops. They are equipped with some necessities, but these usually disappear early in the school year. We advise that you bring a few basic kitchen items of your own for midnight snacks and such; if you plan to do any cooking, you should also bring your own pots, pans, and dishes. Label all your dishes! They tend to disappear. Students using the kitchens are expected to clean up after themselves.

Pest Control

All residence halls are regularly inspected for pests and are sprayed over Winter break, over the summer, and other times as deemed necessary. All residents should use sealed food storage containers for any food kept in the room.

Vending Machines

Soda and snack machines are available in most residence halls, and some halls are equipped with juice machines as well. There are no ice machines.

Laundry Facilities

Every residence hall has coin-operated washing machines and dryers. Quarters for the washers and dryers may be obtained from a change machine or the Student Bank, both of which are located in lower Gladfelter. Prices vary from year to year, but are reasonable.

Room Decorations

When it comes to room decoration, almost anything goes, as long as the room and walls are not damaged. You are expected to co-exist with your roommate; hogging all wall space or putting up decorations which are offensive to your roommate are generally not allowed. Tacks and pins do the least damage to walls; nails can do quite a bit of damage, and tape can occasionally cause damage to the paint. Also, sticky stuff (such as glow-in-the-dark stars) can cause problems, because they require scrubbing to be removed and this could remove paint.

Bikes and Boats

Warren Wilson College is an excellent place for biking; we have an active mountain biking group and the campus has miles of trails. In addition, many other trails can be found near campus, and the Blue Ridge Parkway is three miles to the west. If you decide to bring a bike, however, be sure to bring a bike lock (preferably U-lock style) and a helmet. Bike rooms are available in some residence halls, but it's a good idea to keep your bike locked up whenever you're not riding it, as bike theft is a growing problem on campus.

Some residence halls have storage space for kayaks and canoes as well. Please call the housing office if you have any questions about bringing your bike or boat to WWC.

Residence Hall Staff

Warren Wilson believes that residence halls should be environments that support learning, build community, respect diversity, and encourage responsibility. Residence Hall Directors (RDs) are here to help make this possible. RDs respond to emergencies, advise and refer students, enforce regulations, supervise cleaning, request repairs and maintenance, facilitate hall meetings, and sponsor social, recreational, and educational programs. They are assisted by the Resident Assistants (upperclassmen who live in a residence and are responsible for a section of it).


Residence halls are open to students, staff, and guests of residents only. The residence hall, or unit of it, may (by majority vote) limit hours when guests are permitted. With the permission of your RD and your roommate, you may host an overnight off-campus guest in your room. Hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guests. If your roommate does not wish to have guests (from on or off campus) in his/her room, his/her right to privacy takes priority over your desire to have a guest. Guests may stay a maximum of three nights.

Fire Regulations , Incense, and Smoking

Smoking is prohibited in all student rooms, inside all campus bildings and within any indoor public area by Buncombe County law. Smoking is prohibited within 20 feet of the entrance to, or exit from, any campus building.
Fire safety in your room is a matter of common sense. Candles, incense, oil lamps, kerosene heaters, electric heaters, halogen floor lamps, and space heaters are prohibited in ALL residence halls. No lighter fluid or any type of flammable liquid or flammable liquid-powered motor may be kept or stored anywhere within a residence hall. Air-conditioners, appliances with open coil elements, or large refrigerators are also not permitted. Small refrigerators and microwaves are permitted.

Do not drape material over lamp shades or light fixtures. These can get hot and ignite. We have a campus fire safety officer, and an excellent relationship with local fire departments, but we need to keep things as safe as possible. We strongly recommend using only heavy duty power strips in rooms instead of standard extension cords.

Rules of Conduct

Our residence halls have few written rules. Mostly, we just ask you to be considerate of others; if you do this, you can't go too far wrong. Living in a residence hall is a privilege, however; you could lose this privilege if you violate the rules of conduct and are repeatedly inconsiderate of others. You are responsible for what occurs in your room, including knowingly permitting your roommate or any other person to break college rules or state or federal law.

Firearms, Weapons, and Fireworks

North Carolina state law prohibits weapons and fireworks on the grounds of any educational institution, including the entire Warren Wilson campus. Prohibited items include guns, rifles, dynamite or other explosives, bombs, grenades, mines, bowie knives, dirks, daggers, slingshots, switchblade knives, blackjacks, metal knuckles, fishing or hunting knives, BB guns, stun guns, martial arts weapons, archery equipment, crossbows, or any other weapon not listed above. Pocket and pen knives are allowed, but use common sense. If you have any doubt about whether a knife is legal, leave it at home. This is a peaceful campus. Let's keep it that way.


We love dogs, cats, and all animals, but we don't love the mess they make, the noise they make, and the fleas and other assorted problems that they cause. Please leave them at home. Large pets (cats, dogs, ferrets, etc.) are not allowed in residence halls, period. Some small, quiet, caged pets (hamsters, gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, lizards, and small turtles, but NOT rabbits, rats, and ferrets) are allowed in some residence halls; in no circumstance are dogs or cats allowed for on-campus students. ALL pets in cages must be caged at ALL TIMES and the roommate and the residence hall director (RD) must give their written permission for the pet to be in the residence hall before the pet is permitted. The descriptions in the "Residence Halls" section of this site indicate whether pets are allowed in specific residences.

Warren Wilson requires that pets in residence halls remain caged at all times, and that they have a clean cage with enough living space (animal abuse is not tolerated on this campus). Your roommate must give prior consent to having the pet, and your pet must not make noise or otherwise disturb the peace during your residence hall's consideration hours. If you're in any doubt about whether your pet would be permitted to come to Warren Wilson, please call or e-mail the housing office and ask us.

Exceptions for off-campus housing

One of the most unique things about Warren Wilson is its sense of community. In addition to students, many staff and faculty members live on campus. There are day students, but that number has historically been limited to around ten percent of the college student body. To live off-campus, you must apply to the Dean of Students to gain day student status. Non-traditional age students, married students, single parents, students living with parents or relatives (within a reasonable distance of the college), or students in full-time internship programs are generally automatically granted this status upon application. Students with reasonable cause, who have been on campus and participated in the work program for at least one year, may also apply. A day student who wishes to work on campus must apply for a day student work contract with the Work Program Office.


Warren Wilson is a residential, pedestrian campus and has limited student parking. In 1997-1998, Student Caucus (the primary student governing body) passed a resolution which went into effect during the 1999-2000 school year to limit cars on campus and establish a priority system to govern who may have vehicles on campus.

Student parking will be limited to three hundred cars or thirty-seven percent of the student body, whichever is greater. First priority will go to students who have a legitimate need for a car on campus. Students who have medical appointments on a regular basis, those who have a regular job off-campus, those who have religious obligations that require them to leave campus often, those who have regular 12-step meetings, and other students with special needs which require them to have a vehicle, have the top priority. Once all students with this priority have been assigned parking permits, parking goes by seniority. Seniors have first chance at obtaining a parking permit in the parking lottery. They are followed by juniors, sophomores, and incoming students (freshmen, transfer, or readmitted). Once you have a parking permit, you're guaranteed to keep it throughout your stay at Warren Wilson, as long as you remain a registered student, obey campus vehicle regulations, and pay for your permit every year before the deadline. All students with parking permits as of spring 1999 are grandfathered from this agreement, provided that they return the forms to the Dean of Student's office before the deadline.

This means that incoming students are lowest on the priority list for parking permits, unless they have a special need for a car. If you're an incoming student, don't count on bringing your car your first year.

That doesn't, however, mean you'll be stuck on campus! Warren Wilson does run a shuttle service into Asheville on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, with stops at many popular WWC destinations, such as the mall, the movie theater, Malaprop's bookstore, Pack Place (downtown) and other locations. Also, the Student Services work crew is happy to drive people to doctor's and dentist's appointments, the airport and bus terminals (at breaks, when students are leaving town or returning), and other places. It's also usually pretty easy to find someone with a car to give you a ride if you need one. Be sure to be really nice to people who have cars, and they'll usually give you a ride somewhere.

Residence Hall Availability During Breaks

Only students with on-campus work contracts, awarded by the Work Program Office, may continue to live in their rooms over fall, Thanksgiving, winter, spring, and summer breaks. Students are usually able to remain in their own rooms, although under some circumstances, alternate housing may be required.

MFA Program

Warren Wilson runs a graduate program awarding a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. This is a non-residential program, and students come to campus only twice a year, during the College's winter and summer breaks, for a ten-day intensive study. These students stay in student residence hall rooms over the winter break. If your room is going to be used by an MFA student, you must clear off at least one desk top, empty one closet and bureau, and strip one bed for their use. MFA students, however, often leave goodies as a thank you for the use of your room.

Early Arrivals

Residence Halls do not open for new and transfer students until the first scheduled day of orientation. If you need to arrive before the first day of orientation for some reason (airplane flights, traveling alone, et cetera) you must receive special permission from the Dean of Students or the Director of Housing prior to your arrival date.