Claim Information

Notice of Claim

You must give us written notice of claim within thirty (30) days of the date you become Disabled. If it is not possible for you to give us notice within this time period, it must be givenas soon as reasonably possible.

If you do not have a Long Term Notice of Claim Form, you can get one from the Policyholder's Plan Administrator, or your Unum representative, or you can notify Unum in writing that you want to make a claim. If you do not receive the form from Unum within 15 days afterr writing, send Unum proof of the claim without the form.

Proof of Claim

You must send Unum proof of claim for long term care payments no later than 180 days after the date you become Disabled. If you cannot send Unum proof within this 180 day period, you must send Unum proof as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so, but in no event more than one year after the time this proof is required, unless you are legally incapacitated.

The proof of your claim must include:

You must five Unum proof of continued Disability at intervals requested by us. Such proof must be given within 30 days of our request. If it is not possible for you to give us proof of continued Disability within this 30-day period, it must be given as soon as possible. However, proof of continued Disability must be given no later than one year after the time proof is otherwise requested, unless you are legally incapacitated.

Claims for a Professional Home Care Services monthly benefit must also be included proof of the number of days these services were provided to you.

Unum may also require a claims assessment as part of the proof of claim. A claims assessment means a review done by Unum or its designated representative to help in evaluating the Disability. It may include a face-to-face interview with you at a location selected by Unum or its designated representative.

How to File a Claim

You must fill out a Long Term Care claim form and send it to Unum. If you do not have enough information to complete the form, you may send in the Notice of Claim postcard tht is attached to the claim form. The claim form must be submitted when all information is available.

After you have filed a claim, Unum may also require you to be examined by a Physician or other medical practitioner of Unum's choice. Unum will pay for the examination. Unum can require an examination as often as it is reasonable to do so. Unum may require you or your authorized representative to give authorization to obtain additional medical and nonmedical information as part of proof of claim.

Legal Action

You or your authorized representative may not start legal action on your claim before 60 days after proof of loss has been given to Unum or more than 3 years from the time proof of loss was required.

Right of Recovery

Unum has the right to recover any overpayments made because of any error Unum makes in processing your claim.