Advice from Students
- Don’t do what others are doing just because others are doing it.
- Discover and do your favorite things...but don’t forget to study.
- Follow your dreams.
- People here respect people who stand up for their beliefs.
Ask for Help
- Ask questions, even if they seem silly; that’s how you learn.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to upper class students-they want to hear from you!
- Ask your peer group leaders and returning students how things are done.
- Talk to staff and faculty; they’re always here to help!
- Our librarians are personable search engines and the couches are great!
Green the Campus
- Recycle & use both sides of paper.
- Walk or ride your bike.
- Conserve water & electricity.
- Get school supplies, clothes and much more from the Free Store.
- Don’t walk on newly planted grass or in landscaping beds.
- Use the bus. It saves you money and you can have great conversations with other people who are riding.
- Have fun and study; learn from Academic Support Services-time management is key!
- The Writing Center is a lifesaver, use it!
- Try to trade textbooks with friends before using the Campus Bookstore.
- Don’t take 18 credits first semester; it takes time to adjust to The Triad.
- Read – use the Library and remember not to limit your thoughts to those presented in the classroom.
- Simplify your life.
- Unleash your mind.
- Limit your commitments.
- Make time for spirituality and yourself.
- Take time to think, reflect, and relax.
- Be prepared to do a lot of growing up...quickly.
- Your work crew is a real job, take it seriously.
- Volunteer on crews to learn more and get a leg up on crew choice.
- Respect your supervisors; they become like family.
- Whatever your task is, do it like you mean it. You are part of making this community a community.
Create a Home
- Your residence hall is where you live, take care of it!
- Minimize the amount of stuff you own.
- Furnish your room with indoor plants; it makes a big difference!
- Don’t let your door slam.
- Remember that RAs and RDs are here to help you.
- Plan to share things with your roommate to maximize space (phone, stapler, etc.)
- Communicate with your roommate; share concerns as they happen.
- Compromise is the key to successful community living.
- Read the Mountain Xpress newspaper; you’ll find great stuff to do and it’s free!
- Support local businesses, bookstores, coffee houses, galleries
- Walk around Asheville to learn the streets and find your favorite places.
- Go outside
- Hike ALL the trails.
- Swing on the swing; swim in the pond.
- Visit the farm and garden.
- Join clubs and organizations.
- Read flyers and bulletin boards.
- Attend Student Caucus; make your voice heard!
- Visit Sage Café; great coffee, music, and goodies.
- Pay attention to & participate in events beyond WWC.
- Get involved in Service asap; the crew will help you find your niche
- Stay informed ; use your WWC email account.
- Do what you love but remember to get some sleep.
- Say “Howdy” to everyone on campus.
- Learn people’s names—meet one new person every day.
- Everyone sometimes has doubts about being in school.
- Realize that college is a privilege.
- Think for yourself.
- Speak from your heart Live with passion.
- Create community around you; don’t expect it to come find you.
- WWC isn’t camp or an alternative to college; IT IS COLLEGE.
- Give family/friends your campus address; packages are lifesavers.
- You’re on your own now. Be careful, be responsible.