What Does WWC Recycle?
Although not everything can be recycled, Warren Wilson does its best to reduce waste throughout the community. Below is a list of materials that can be recycled at WWC
- Glass: Bottles & jars, all colors.
- Plastic: #1 through # 7, except for black microwavable trays.
Cartons & Aseptic Containers: Milk & soy cartons, creamer cartons, orange juice cartons, juice boxes, broth boxes, etc.
- Paper: Paperboard, Sorted Office Paper and other non-greasy, non-waxed paper goods.
- Cardboard: Everything except wax coated cardboard and greasy pizza box bottoms.
- Steel: All types of steel, including cans.
- Aluminum: All cans, scrap, pie tins, foil etc...
- Wood: Salvaged wood awaits a foster home in the woodshop.
- Packing Peanuts: Clean, bagged styrofoam peanuts can be donated to shipping supply stores
- Tires: rubber tires from cars, bicycles, are recycled (through Buncombe County landfill) into material for asphalt
- Floppy Disks: Even broken ones!
- Batteries: All kinds - rechargeable, alkaline, cell phone, laptop, NiCd, Lithium, etc...
- Electronics: Computer parts, circuit boards, laptops, monitors, TV's, stereos, any electrical appliance
- Cell Phones: We take all types and kinds, they are sent to battered women shelters
- CDs and DVDs: All types of CDs
- DVD Cases: Flexible plastic DVD cases
- Tapes: All tapes, including audio cassettes & VHS tapes
- CD cases and Tape cases: Rigid plastic CD jewel cases & cassette tape cases
- Unbroken Fluorescent Lights: We take the 'tube style' fluorescent lights and compact fluorescents
- Printer Cartridges: Inkjet and laser cartridges are great!
- Appliances: Household appliances & electronics such as televisions, toasters and other kitchen appliances, etc...
- Pallets: Wooden pallets are recyclable, along with spare wood
- Old Text Books: We can donate or recycle them
- Corks: Natural cork material
- Plastic Bags & film: Must be clean. Grocery & department store bags; plastic overwrap from cases of water bottles/ paper towels/ etc; bread & newspaper bags; clear flexible electronic packaging. No trash bags. Use a reusable bag when you can!
- Brita Water Filters: Collected and sent back to Brita to be recycled
- Metal & wire: Metal & wire
- Candy wrappers: Any brand and size clean candy wrappers (no candy boxes or gum packaging). Sent to Terracycle.
- Energy bar wrappers: All clean energy, granola, cereal, and protein bars with an inner foil lining are acceptable. Sent to Terracycle.
- Cereal bags: Any brand and any size cereal bag, including the inner lining of cereal boxes.
- Bear Naked brand packaging: Any size Bear Naked granola bag or wrapper. Sent to Terracycle.
- Kashi brand packaging: Kashi cardboard packaging, granola wrappers, etc. Does not include paperboard, which can go in mixed paper. Sent to Terracycle.
- Oral care products: Any brand used toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes and plastic toothbrush packaging, excluding cardboard. Sent to Terracycle.
- Chip bags: Any brand of empty chip bag. Sent to Terracycle.
- Cheese packaging: All kinds of plastic cheese packaging! Large flexible cheese packaging, such as shredded cheese packaging and string cheese packaging; individual cheese packaging such as individual slices packaging and individual string cheese packaging; and foil cheese packaging!
- Cigarette stuff: Butts, cigarette packs, tobacco pouches and rolling papers.
- Cleaner packaging: Flexible plastic cleaner packaging (like Method or Dropps soap/detergent packaging) and spray triggers from cleaning bottles.
- Wipes & Diaper Packaging: Flexible wipes packaging and the outer wrap on diaper packaging.
- Hot Cereal & Oatmeal Packs: Individual packs
- Scotch tape dispensers: Individual plastic tape dispensers & plastic tape cores.
- Personal Care & Beauty Products:
- Hair care packaging such as hair gel tubes and caps, hair spray bottles and triggers, and hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Skin care packaging such as lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers and tubes, face lotion bottles, tubes and plastic jars, body wash containers, soap tubes and dispensers, body lotion dispensers and bottles, shaving foam tubes (no cans), and hand lotion bottles and tubes
- Cosmetics packaging such as lipstick cases, lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, and lip liner pencils
- Writing Instruments: Pens and pen caps, mechanical pencils, markers and marker caps, permanent markets and permanent marker caps. No crayons or chalk.
Tips On How To Recycle
Check out this amazing video!
The Warren Wilson Recycling crew isn't the most glamorous job in the world, but all of us on the crew love our job. What we don't love, however, is unsorted trash. Here are a few tips on how to help make our job easier and in the end, your waste disposal and recycling more effective.
Note: Residents of College View and Daisy Hill are part of a very exciting new experiment with recycling bins! Check out your special directions!
- Bag All Trash
- Bag Your Recyclables Separately (glass, plastic, aluminum in one bag is fine.)
- Wash out your glass and plastic containers.
- Break down cardboard boxes or use boxes as containers for your recyclables.
- Have your trash out and ready for pick up on your scheduled pick up day
- Put in a work order for an unscheduled pick up. 771-3074
- Sort your miscellaneous recyclables out of the trash.
- Some things are harmful to the environment to throw in the garbage. Please be careful with what you throw away. If you're not sure, leave it out of the trash for us to deal with. If you have questions, ask us.
- Save items from the trash that could go in the FreeStore
- Get involved. Come on down to the Recycling Center and see what we do and how we do it. We guarantee you'll learn something new.
- For on campus staff and faculty - put bagged trash in a trash can. Dogs (and Bears for that matter) love trash and they love to rip open bags and make messes too.
- Educate yourself. Go to our resources page and learn all about recycling and waste disposal.
- BAG ALL TRASH.
- Leave cookies and other treats for the crew. Be on the good side of the RSW crew; it pays... more than you know.
- Any questions, call or write us. 771-2035