The Cowpie Café is Warren Wilson College’s student-initiated, student-run, vegetarian, sustainable dining option. Crew members are responsible for all aspects of food service including menu planning, food preparation, cooking, presentation, and clean up. General enthusiasm, the ability to work in fast-paced energetic environment, as well as a genuine interest in vegetarian and vegan sustainable food sources is a plus. The cafe serves lunch and dinner Monday-Thursday and lunch on Friday’s. All crew members have Saturday’s and Sunday’s off!
I’ve never met a group of people so dedicated to making high quality food for every kind of diet!
Cowpie is a place where I can be creative and have fun, all while contributing a key part to campus life by serving delicious-healthy food!
What You’ll Learn
You’ll spend years working alongside your peers with the mentorship of your supervisors. Part of the experience of work at Warren Wilson is guided critical reflection, which helps ensure that you achieve both your own educational goals as well as our Common Learning Outcomes. These intentional learning outcomes distinguish our Work Program, giving it focus and relevancy that set it apart from a federal work-study or your average part-time job.
Our Common Learning Outcomes:
- Professionalism & Work Ethic: accountability, effective work habits, punctuality, dependability, time management, integrity, and commitment to the well-being of the community.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: working with available resources to creatively address issues and solve problems, and gaining confidence to make decisions.
- Communication: the ability to convey and receive information effectively with intentionality, honesty, and confidence in both speech and writing.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: actively collaborate with peers to achieve common goals, Distribute labor fairly, and hold each other accountable as committed members of a group.
- Civic Identity: understanding your active influence within the community and how your decisions directly impact the work around you.
In addition to our Common Learning Outcomes, each crew in the Work Program identifies crew-specific goals for learning and performance. These are reviewed with you each semester. Your crew-specific learning goals outline skills and abilities your supervisor will teach you during the semester.