Orientation – Frequently Asked Questions


Personal Finances, Health Insurance, & Registering for Classes

How do students handle personal finances? In terms of amount of money needed, there’s no simple answer to this question. Some students seem to have unlimited allowances, while others manage on almost nothing. Most day-to-day expenses are covered through college billing, with the exception of books at the start of each semester which can run $300-$400. Text books can be rented or purchased but check the Campus Bookstore for more information.

Taking advantage of all that Asheville offers will sometimes require some resources – movies cost $8-9, covers at music clubs can be $5-15 and there is huge selection of great restaurants with meals costing $8-25. We have the typical chain stores, lots of independently owned shops (buy local!) and GREAT thrift stores.

On campus, most events are free including movies, concerts, lectures, poetry slams and even a circus. Contra dancing is every Thursday and costs a very small fee for students. The Recycling Crew operates the Free Store free store where you can find everything from room decorations and clothes to school supplies and appliances. It is recycled and free!

  • A limited number of work contracts are available to students who need or wish to stay on campus over breaks. The college pays slightly above minimum wage and charges a subsidized rate for room and board. The Work Program Office will publicize the dates for sign-up.
  • We strongly advise new students against working off-campus during the academic year. Classes plus 15 hours in the Work Program and the Service Program requirements comprise a full load.
  • The Campus Bookstore will cash checks up to $20 and offer cash back with a debit card for up to $20.
  • Asheville is a tourist town. Most businesses accept out-of-state checks, but a local bank account can be helpful. Many provide student account specials.
  • There is an ATM machine located by the cafeteria in Gladfelter and operated by BB&T Bank. A transaction fee is charged for non BB&T customers. Other ATMs are available at many of the bus stops.

What should I do about health insurance? We encourage all students to have at least basic health insurance coverage. If you are not covered by a parent’s policy we offer a plan through First Agency.

What about insurance for athletes? Any student interested in participating in collegiate athletics (basketball, soccer, swimming, cross country, cycling and paddling) needs to have health insurance. Proof of primary insurance coverage is mandatory for all student-athletes. If you do not have primary insurance, the Athletic Department offers an insurance policy through First Agency of Michigan. This health insurance policy covers injuries related to WWC athletics. If you have questions, please call Stacey Enos, Athletic Director, at (828)771-3737 or email at senos@warren-wilson.edu.

Do I need insurance for my belongings? How safe is the campus? While “crimes against people” such as robbery or assault by strangers have not been an issue at WWC, we have had “missing” bicycles, money and CDs from unlocked residence hall rooms. You are encouraged to lock your door, keep building entry doors closed, and report any suspicious behavior to Public Safety.

Check to see if your belongings are covered by your parent’s insurance; the College is not responsible for theft of or damage to your property. You might want to consider taking out an insurance policy for your valuables. National Student Services, Inc. offers student personal property plans that are affordable.

There is time during Orientation to meet the public safety staff, find the location of the emergency blue light phones, and learn about fire safety, the WWC Sexual Misconduct Policy and the college’s expectations for sexual communication, responsibility, and respect.

Is there information available about getting transcripts, registering for classes, or what to do if I can’t get into the class I want? Yes!  Visit this link to the Registrar’s Office where you’ll find answers to all types of questions related to course registration and classes.

Health, Food & Wellness

Does WWC really need my immunization records? North Carolina law requires that all students prove they have received certain immunizations. You cannot register for classes if you are not in compliance! If you have not already submitted the online health form, please do so NOW. Be sure it’s complete: the day, month, and year of each immunization must be noted. The Health Form can be accessed on the forms page of the WWC website.

What if I am on medication or need to see a doctor? The Health Center provides exams, over the counter medicines and SOME prescription medicines and the Counseling Center offers counseling services. If you take medicine for a chronic or recurring condition (e.g. depression, diabetes, seizures, etc.), arrange to have your current prescriptions with you when you arrive. If you need a local doctor or therapist, the College’s nurse or a counselor can make a referral. If you want to arrange an appointment before school starts, e-mail the Health Center or email/call the Counseling Center ((828) 771-3773).

What are my options for dining at WWC? All students are required to be on a meal plan except for students who have medically proven their inability to be on it. Gladfelter cafeteria offers an all-you-can-eat buffet with hot entrees, a salad bar, deli bar, pizza station and a grill featuring Warren Wilson College farm meats. Dining Services provides as many local and WWC products as available in all stations, while catering to meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans and special diets alike. Students also have the option of eating at Cowpie Café, a student-run, student-initiated café dedicated to serving local, organic and vegetarian foods and educating the community on healthful eating. To eat in the cafeteria or café, all students need to do is show a College ID. Additionally, students can use “flex” dollars to purchase food and beverages in the Sunderland dorm Coffee Shop and “sage dollars” to purchase food and drinks in Sage Café, a café in Sage dorm. To learn more, visit the Dining Services website or read information in the Dining Services section of the Student Handbook.

What programs and services are available to help maintain personal wellness? Developing a balanced, healthy lifestyle is an important part of your education at Warren Wilson. The college’s Wellness Program is dedicated to providing you with tools and resources that promote physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. The Wellness Crew coordinates a variety of non-credit courses, such as yoga, Pilates, dance and workshops in herbal remedies, massage, and meditation. Many of these activities are chosen largely by the request and interest of the campus community. If you have an idea for a program, stop by the Wellness office in Vining C. The Wellness Residence Hall (Ballfield C) is home to students who wish to live with others who share a commitment to an alcohol/ tobacco/and other drug free living environment. If this interests you and you have not already indicated Wellness on your housing form, call or email (ASAP!) the Housing Office at (828)771-2071 or housing@warren-wilson.edu. The Wellness Crew will have several activities during Orientation so we encourage you to use your break times wisely. It is tempting to spend that time socializing with your new friends and neighbors. While we want you to meet new friends, it is important to take care of yourself too!

I need accommodations for special needs. What should I do? Students in need of special accommodations and/or support services under the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 must provide documentation of the existence of a disability which substantially limits a major life activity. Check on-line for documentation requirements or contact the Educational Access Coordinator, Deborah Braden. Deborah will be available to meet individually with new students during Orientation.

What about tobacco, alcohol and other drugs? Warren Wilson is committed to a healthy campus and to observing all federal, state, and local laws. Our focus with regard to substance use is on education and prevention. The College offers professional drug and alcohol screening, counseling, educational programs, and many alternative activities. In addition, the college offers a smoking cessation program through the Wellness Program.

On central campus smoking is permitted only in designated areas. On the other parts of campus, smoking is permitted in areas that are more than 25 feet from buildings.

The legal drinking age in North Carolina is 21. If you are under the age of 21 you may not consume or possess alcohol anywhere on campus. Alcohol is not allowed in the public areas of residences or elsewhere on campus except at approved events for people of legal age. Illegal drugs are not allowed anywhere, at anytime, for any reason.

A progressive system of sanctions is used when the College’s Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Policy is violated (see this and other policies in the Student Handbook). Initially the focus is on education and intervention, but disciplinary probation, housing suspension and suspension are the consequences for serious or repeated violations of the law or college policy.